You are not logged in. Sign In | Forgot Password?
Logo | Illinois Agrivultural Education

FFA is dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education..

The FFA Alumni Association supports and advocates for agricultural education and FFA through gifts of time, talent and financial resources..

The mission of the Illinois FFA Foundation is to provide financial support for the Illinois FFA. When you make a gift to the Illinois Foundation FFA, you are investing in the future of agriculture..

The Illinois Association of Vocation Agriculture Teachers (IAVAT) is a professional organization for agricultural teachers at all levels..

The Illinois Association of Community College Agriculture Instructors (IACCAI) is a statewide professional organization for postsecondary agriculture instructors. .

The Illinois Postsecondary Agricultural Student (PAS) Organization provides opportunities for individual growth, leadership and career preparation. .

The Illinois Farm Bureau & Affiliated Companies Youth Education in Agriculture program offers unique educational programs to Illinois youth in 4-H and FFA. .

The purpose of the Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom Program is to encourage educators to incorporate more information about the agriculture, food, and natural resources system into daily lessons..
/Ag-Ed Advocacy/About-FCAE

Facilitating Coordination in Agricultural Education (FCAE) is a state project administered through the Illinois State Board of Education that is tasked with improving and expanding agricultural education from pre-k through adult levels..

The Illinois Leadership Council for Agricultural Education (ILCAE) is a voluntary, grassroots agricultural industry group focused on the expansion and improvement of Agricultural Education programs at all levels..

The Illinois Committee for Agricultural Education (ICAE) is a 13-member committee established by legislation and appointed by the Governor to advise both the governor and state education agencies concerning Agricultural Education K-adult..

The Illinois State Board of Education is the state agency responsible for Pre-K through 12th grade education. Its primary mission is state program leadership, planning, approval, funding, and evaluation..

The Illinois Department of Agriculture will be an advocate for Illinois' agricultural industry and provide the necessary regulatory functions to benefit consumers, agricultural industry, and our natural resources.. provides information about the Agricultural Education profession and encourages students to consider a career as an agriculture teacher..

MyCAERT provides teachers with an integrated online system to Plan, Document, Deliver, and Assess Career and Technical Education instruction. .

Information Technology and Communication Services (ITCS) Instructional Materials provides agricultural education publications in a variety of formats. .

The Agricultural Experience Tracker is the premiere personalized online system for tracking experiences in agricultural education. .
FFA FFA Alumni IL FFA Foundation IAVAT IACCAI PAS IFB Youth Education IAITC FCAE ILCAE ICAE ISBE Illinois Department of Agriculture MyCAERT ITCS The AET

Listserv Messages

Casey Bolin
District 5 Program Advisor
Sections 21-25
1475 West Whittaker
Salem, IL 62881
Cell: (618) 780-0230
[email protected]
  Weekly Messages
Last 5 messages
all messages
Monthly Summary Report
Most Recent (7/31/2019)
All Reports

Applying for an Ag Teaching License

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

*sent to AITC Coordinators.

In following up from the statewide AITC coordinator meeting, below are the instructions for obtaining an agriculture teaching license.  Feel free to forward this message to interested individuals or let your FCAE program advisor know of interested individuals.  Click for Ag Teacher Vacancies.

Applying for the ELS (Educator License with Stipulations)
CTE Agriculture Teaching License - lower right corner to
download this doc or click here


  • Minimum of 60 semester hours - The institution of higher education must hold regional accreditation.  For endorsements requiring a specific number of semester hours, coursework must be at the 100-level of higher.  Remedial coursework will not be accepted.

  • Documented a minimum of 2,000 hours of work experience outside of education in the area to be taught. In Agricultural Education, you must submit 2,000 hours per pathway that you wish to teach in. These pathways include: Agricultural Science, Agricultural Business & Management, Agricultural Mechanics & Technology, Horticulture and Natural Resources Conservation Management. Learn more about the pathways and courses included in each by clicking here.


  • Visit the Illinois State Board of Education ELIS Login Page

    • Click on “Click here for first time access to the ELIS (Educator Licensure Information System) system” to create your account.

    • Follow the steps to create the online application and pay the licensing fee of $102.

  • Download Form 73-23 Application for Career and Technical, Provisional Career and Technical Educator, Part-Time Provisional Career and Technical Educator License to your computer or flash drive, then go to the saved copy to begin filling it out.  If you fill it out online, the form will save though the information that you add will not.

    • You will need to mark Career and Technical Educator Endorsement (CTE) on the form. Part-time (PCTE) requires 8,000 hours of work experience and is for grades 11-12 only and can only be renewed one time. Provisional Career and Technical Educator (CTEP) requires 8,000 hours of work experience, is for grades 11-12 only and can be renewed as long as requirements are met.

    • Signature of Superintendent or Board Secretary of Employing District  is not required but should be the original signature of Superintendent or Board Secretary of Employing District if it appears.  Candidates are not required to be hired by a school district to apply for this licensure.

    • Application must have an original signature of Regional Office of Education Superintendent

    • This form must be submitted by the Regional Office of Education (ROE) or Chicago Public Schools (CPS) and will not be accepted from the applicant. Regional offices of education are grouped by counties throughout Illinois.  Applicants should go through their local ROE if they are unsure of what district they will be teaching in.  Your license will need to be transferred to the ROE office that the school is part of and are employed with.   Click here to see a list of regional offices of education.

  • Complete the work experience log on the appropriate form listed below:

    • Download and save  Form 73-23A Verification for Career and Technical Educator Work Experience prior to completing - This form should be used to verify employment when you or your family members are not the employer.

    • Download and save Form 73-23B  Verification for Career and Technical Educator Work Experience (Notarized) prior to completing.  This form should be used to verify employment when you or your family members are the employer.

    • It is acceptable to indicate “See Attached Sheet” and attach a separate pdf to send along with these forms if further detail or space is required to assist the reviewer in fully understanding your experiences.  


Once approved, your license will be valid for five years. During this five years, you will be licensed to teach in the specific area in which you were endorsed for grades 7-12. At the end of five years, the license can be renewed, and can be renewed every five years.

If the license was issued before 1/1/2015, professional development requirements must be met by documenting 120 hours OR 60 hours if licensee holds National Board of Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) designation.

If the license was issued after 1/1/2015, the following are required:
1 - Professional development requirements must be met by documenting 120 hours OR 60 hours if licensee holds National Board of Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) designation.

2 - Test of Basic Skills (any one of the following is acceptable):

  • Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP 400)

  • ACT: Before 9/1/15 - Composite score of 22 with combined English/Writing score of 19 -OR- after 9/1/15 - Composite score of 22 with Writing score of 16

  • SAT: Before 3/5/16 - Composite score of 1030 (mathematics and critical writing) with a minimum writing score of 450 -OR- after 3/5/16 - Composite score of 1110 (evidence-based reading and writing + mathematics = 1110 or higher) and a minimum score of 26 on writing and language

  • ACT WorkKeys test (the Applied Mathematics — 4​ and the Reading for Information — 4 portions must be completed)

  • Out-of-state test of basic skills that led to licensure in another state

For more information on a License with Stipulations visit this link.  

Contact an agricultural education program advisor for assistance with the application forms and work letters.  


To be removed from this list, contact [email protected]